Tuesday, February 9, 2010

week 39 and 40 - relieved and unhappy

The relieved word in the subject is for the fact that I have signed off an offer in ISB campus ... Unhappy is the feeling because of following reasons

1) I am not happy with the location offered. Having worked for 6.5 years I wanted to go to a city where I can stay for next few years atleast but this city was a strict no no. Actually I turned down the offer initially because of this. But thanks to some sensible friends I grabbed it again.

2) The package offered though is good is not what I dreamt off before joining ISB. But then it was my dreams that were off the mark. There have been cases in ISB where people actually landed up dream offers but such folks and extremely brilliant, deserving, lucky and exceptional.

What makes me happy is that role is good. After the roller coaster ride of one year the switch I wanted from my new job is there ans is something in which i will leverage my past experiences. Just as I said in my interviews:- A job where I can deploy the blend of my education and experience ...


What relieved me the most was  that I now have something to fallback on and the worries of loan installments are no more there... The joining date ad location are not 100% final yet but tentative information is there ...

-------------


Coming to weekly stories
past 2 weeks have been similar to 2 weeks prior to those.. same mixed bag .. just that there are more number of relieved faces... Folks who have not yet landed an offer are still hopeful because some great firms have signed up off late and many more are lined up for the upcoming placement season ( 12th to 21st Feb) ...

Not too sure what else to chronicle. Term 7 classes ended and the costliest subject which i bought this term was the one in which i slept most ... first 6 lectures because i was up till late prepping and last 4 out of habit ...

Term 8 bidding happened and people are now deciding on their graduation requirements ... I m majoring in Strategy and Marketing. In hindsight I should have heard to my freiends who warned me against marketing.. I too feel marketing subjects are a lot more repetitive and that finance or operations would have involved more learning .. Finance was something i could not relate to so no issues operations is my background and would have me if I had majored in operations ... but then i came here for a career switch so I did no do what i did prior to ISB...

This post is not really a chronicle but a reflection , i guess...

Term  exams coming up ...

time to read the syllabus and find out what the hell went on in term 7 lectures ..

btw, 3 subjects in term 7 was definitely a good decision ...

6 comments:

J said...

I am bit confused now..so did you or did you not make the career switch you were looking for?

ISB ASPIRANT 2011 said...

Congrats on bagging the job offer!

What company and profile?

PR said...

@J and @ISB Aspirant 2011 --

Sorry for confusion. I made switch within IT industry ( from normal projects to IT consulting) but failed in switching my profile ( to strategy roles)...

I took IT Role of IT consultant in one of India's leading IT companies

J said...

congrats on the offer! but i wish you were sucessful in switching...it wud have been a huge booster for me! and y do you say marketing is not the great?...you know I should have a gyan session with you! :)

PR said...

@J
Drop me a line @ hopefully2@rediffmail.com

Rachit said...

Pranay,

I am an admit to the class of 2011. How is the overall placement scene this time around?